Friday, June 11, 2010

Even Skunks...

...can  have a bad day. We came across this little issue while assisting with a new construction inspection the other day.


This one apparently fell into an electrical vault at a construction site. The workers showed up in the morning and there he was. They tried to get him out and of course he sprayed. Fortunately, he didn't hit anyone. An animal control officer was called to take care of the issue.


It took a little while, but the skunk was removed from the vault without anyone being sprayed. I asked the A.C. officer what they do with captured skunks, he said that they are usually destroyed as they are notorious for carrying rabies.

However, as this skunk had behaved in a very proper fashion, the A.C. officer said that he was going to be released near the city dump, where he can live a normal skunk lifestyle.

Prior to this, I had never really watched a skunk close up for any length of time. This one was very curious about the 2x4 that was used to prod him toward the net and about the net itself. He only became agitated once and as soon as everyone backed off, he calmed right down and became passive again.

I hear they make decent pets once they are de-skunked. I don't think I'll give it a try though, somehow I don't think skunks and long-dogs would get along.

I am glad the AC officer let this one go, this skunk's day was bad enough.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

7 comments:

  1. That stinks, poor little skunk. My dogs used to dissect the stinky little buggers whenever one would make the mistake of foraging into my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skunks are adorable creatures when they are de-smelled! Very similar to cats in their personality.

    They can usually only spray once every 2-3 days though. So once they spray they're fine to be handled.


    :)! glad the skunk got let out at the dump! It will make the Skunk very happy i'm sure.

    xx
    Jaxs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael - I take it your dogs them became outside dogs for a while?

    Jackie - yeah i thought this little skunk was pretty cool. I did some research, captive bred skunks make the best pets. It sounded like the personality was kind of a cross between a cat and a ferret.

    I know long-dogs don't like cats, I'm pretty sure ferrets aren't high on their list either, so for now its just gonna have to be dogs.

    Thanks for commenting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos, Capt. Schmoe. A good chance to give a skunk a good look over.

    I wonder if they are in a related family to ferrets, since they look rather like ferrets in the face. They certainly are fluffier tho.

    Which gives rise to the question: Do they shed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they'd make an attractive coat.

    Back when I was little Miss Edith, about 8 y/o, we took a family trip from Delaware to Maine. We drove in an old station wagon, parents, 3 kids, dog and cat. It was all good fun in Maine until the dog tangled with a skunk the day we were packing to leave. 600 miles in August heat without air conditioning with a skunked dog. Any little whiff brings back memories of that oh-so-long drive home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Captain Schmoe,
    I'm feeling all sappy that Animal Control had a way to tell a good skunk from a bad skunk. It's so nice to know that rehab and placement still have a place in malodorous society.

    LOL and thanks for the story and pictures!
    Ann T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. B. - I had a faux skunk-fir coat once, I didn't like it. I could never remember - white shoes, black handbag or was it black shoes white handbag.

    ReplyDelete