Sunday, December 20, 2015

Firevergnügen or Feuervergugen

Driving on the freeway downtown and saw the smoke. I was lucky, as I was able to exit and get to a vantage point and watch the boys from Sta. #1 and #6 go to work. Also lucky, as I was able to get back in the truck and leave as soon as it was out. The freeway was shut down for half an hour or so, I was home editing photos before the last unit cleared.











I grabbed the wrong camera/lens (70-200) as I exited my truck, so these are all a little tighter than I would have liked. I am thinking of swapping my main lens (24-70 2.8) for a 24-105 f4. The 24-105 F4 is a slightly "slower" lens, but it has image stabilization and it is a zooms in a little closer than the 24-70. I think it would be a little more versatile and as I tend to shake a little bit at times, (especially when I am fired up) the stabilization would be helpful.

Good work by the Downtown and North End engines for making quick work of this, they have been seeing a bit of flamage the past few weeks. As I live on the other end of town, I have seen little of it.

Thanks for reading,

Schmoe

5 comments:

  1. That looks like a fairly modern vehicle. What would make one of them catch on fire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it started in or under the the passenger compartment. If it was the middle of the night in an orange grove, I would say arson. As it was in the middle of the freeway, moving and in broad daylight - who knows. Asking the right questions of the people in the car is going to go a long way in finding out what happened. Exciting for them I am quite sure.

      Delete
  2. "wrong lens"?! GREAT pics- those pics will get printed and be in those guys families for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all of these were shot with the long lens on a crop frame camera. I should have either swapped out the lens for a wider angle, or grabbed the other camera/lens set up with a full-frame sensor and wider lense. I think the shots would have been a little more dramatic done with a slightly wider angle. I too like them, but I would have liked a few of the shots better in that wider view.

      Delete