Friday, August 31, 2012

I Heard It Through The Grape Vine

A few posts ago, I posted that my services were not wanted as a juror in a criminal case. I heard through the grapevine a short while ago that the defense lost the case and the defendant was found guilty of the charges filed against him.

Good. He looked guilty to me anyways. He had shifty eyes and he acted like he was trying to charm his way out of trouble. Apparently, neither my replacement nor the other jurors bought the defense attorney's effort to get his client off either.


It's likely prison for the defendant and a mark in the loss column for the defense attorney. Despite the defendant's shifty eyes and his Eddie Haskellesque greeting, I'm sure I would have had open mind until jury deliberations were well under way.

As it turned out, it didn't really matter. There is no longer any presumption of innocence, no need to remain fair and impartial and no need to use the terms alleged, suspected or accused. Convicted dirt-bag who got caught burglarizing someone's  home is now an appropriate phrase when applied to the man who stood trial.

Looking at the above words, I am beginning to suspect that I don't deal with rejection well.

Who knew.

Thanks for reading,

Schmoe

No comments:

Post a Comment