Monday, March 6, 2017

Close to Home

It is rare that I am able to photograph a fire scene while the suppression activity is in it's early phase. So rare, that most of my photos are of the overhaul phase of operations. That's OK, overhaul can be interesting as well, if shot properly. Yesterday, a structure fire broke out pretty close to my house. As a result, I actually arrived before any of the units. 

I parked around the corner, as I didn't want to:
A - park the Schmoemobile in the way of arriving units.
B - get blocked in by the multitude of apparatus that were soon to be on scene.

I actually took a few actions before I started shooting, so my first shots were taken about the time the first line was pulled off of the rig. Things moved pretty fast from there.

Single story, single family dwelling with the attached garage heavily involved. A good hydrant located directly across the street. E2, E10, T2, T3, S2 and Batt2 are the initial units dispatched. A crusty/rusty retired fire captain/photog arrives first and advises the BC of initial size-up. E12 is requested by the BC as an additional resource. 

E2 arrives and begins to deploy lines




A couple of cars in the driveway added to the mix
 
Something you don't see every day.
 

Two metro packs on the ground, both off of E2
Two of the cars were heavily damaged

This was just as water was being applied.

Water on, visibility off for me.

Meanwhile, back at the hydrant.

Truckies being truckies.

The flames are gone, but the work is not.

I like this shot, good balance of people and apparatus.

The investigators arrive and begin their work.
A family was displaced, at least four people, including at least one child. Though the fire was held mainly to the garage,  I'm guessing that some damage occurred to the living space. When the rush of combat is withheld from the equation, fires do suck - especially for the victims.

Thanks for reading,

Schmoe

3 comments:

  1. Great photos as always, Schmoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great pics! I especially liked the one with the two firemen and the trucks in the background - that's magazine cover quality.

    How did this fire get started? What should have been done to prevent it, or discover it earlier?

    Or how about this - you wake up and discover your house is on fire. What do you do?

    And, for the final question: I'm prepared for a home invasion or similar crime, including street crime. I'm a gun owner and a shooter. I stay in practice, I'm aware of my surroundings. I pack my gat and have a CCW. I'm better than nothing for a medical emergency. I have two fire extinguishers, but I'm clueless about a fire emergency. How about a post on fire emergency, including what to do when the experts arrive?

    ReplyDelete