Monday, September 13, 2010

Human Shields

"Kinda Big Engine 226, County Engine 14, we are on scene, it's ours and we can handle. Can you block the number one lane for us while we load these patients?"

"County 14, we copy, we'll take the number one lane."

I watch several cars whiz by in excess of eighty miles per hour as we make the move to block the lane at a forty degree angle. We get positioned and I can feel my gut start to churn.

It's 3:20 A.M, it's dark on the grade and we are the initial barrier between County 14 and the multitude of drunks that are out at that hour.

I know County 14 will hurry, hopefully the State Troopers will hurry as well. I absolutely hate this stretch of highway, a County engine was clobbered in this area earlier this year. Had our response time been a little quicker or theirs a little slower, it would have been us, not them.

Now, as we sit exposed in the number one lane, I tighten my seat belt and make sure my camera is secured so that it won't go flying through the front windshield should we get hit. The crew is tense as well, they know how I feel about our position, it is one that they share.

I am grateful in an add way, that I can't see the traffic coming at us in the rear view mirror. The angle of the engine in relation to the traffic lane means that should an impact occur it would either be to the tailboard or to a point on on my side of the engine. Either way, there is nothing I can do but pray that we don't get hit.

After a while, I can see the second patient being loaded onto the gurney and wheeled to the ambulance. It won't be long now. At about this time, a state trooper walks past my rig after parking behind us. At least now there is something between the drunks and us, though I would prefer something a little larger.

Another few minutes pass and the patients are safely loaded into the ambulance.  County 14s  repositions their own engine to provide protection for the troopers and the tow truck drivers who are still working the scene. They cut us loose, it takes us a few minutes before we can safely get moving.

We all breathe a little easier, the role of human shield is one that no one likes. I hear County 14's clear the scene a few minutes later. They, as we, dodged yet another bullet.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

2 comments:

  1. Capt. you are all required to remain seated in your rig in this case? I see no reason for all people reamining there - in contrary i would even say I see no reason why anyone shall remain inside. It seems to me lot safer that at least majority of crew if not whole crew leaves the rig (to prevent possible injuries in case of being hit). Thanks for enlightening me eventually (even though this is quite old post).

    ReplyDelete
  2. MV I wouldn't say required, though in reality it is the safest place to be. This is for several reasons. First, we were there just to block traffic, so when the Highway Patrol finally arrives and does a proper lane closure, we can make a fast get-a-way. Second, on the freeway, there really is no place to hide! Our problem usually isn't one of not being seen or noticed, it is one of drivers slamming on their brakes and losing control of their vehicles. I feel safer surrounded by 37,000 lbs of steel than exposed on the shoulder of the road.

    ReplyDelete