Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Paperwork

The Saint I Am Married To and I made the trek into town and visited the agency that administers the public employees retirement system in my state.


Though a positive experience, I have to say the act of sliding those signed papers across the desk was a bit unnerving. For the past thirty years, I have been a firefighter in one form or another. The submission of my PERS papers is the second step in the process of not being one. The third step, the submission of my separation notification papers to the district, followed a few hours later.

Now I just have to get through the next three months, and that will be that. Game over, done, finito, no mas etc. It's going to be weird.

I know the guy who is going to promote into my spot, he is a good guy and will do a good job. The person promoting into his spot is not yet known as the testing still is in progress.

Some where, there is a young person who will be getting a phone call in a few months, offering them a position as a firefighter for the Kinda Big Fire Protection District. A few weeks after that, they will walk through the doors of a firehouse, nervous and wide eyed.

A blink of an eye later, their career will be over - done, game over, finito etc.

That's how it went down for me.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it, Capt. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!

    What are your post-retirement plans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All good things must come to an end I suppose.

    It's hard to believe how fast time can fly, I'm still a rookie by most standards, yet I'm rapidly approaching being one of the senior folks. It's scary seeing how much things have changed since I've been on, and I'm not even at 10 years yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mack 505 - Thanks!

    Rambling Chief - I don't know for sure, maybe I'll write some posts on the daily lives of Chief officers!

    GA Firelady - Trust me, the next 20 will fly by faster than the first ten. I don't know why, but it seems to work that way.

    Thanks for the comments all.

    ReplyDelete