Thursday, June 16, 2011

Railroad Safety

Those of us that work in public safety often have to work around railroad tracks. Whether it's subways, els or main-lines, if there is a set of tracks in your district, sooner or later you are going to be working on them or next to them.

Those of you long time readers know that I have two basic recurring (though rare) nightmares. One involves rattlesnakes, the other involves trains.

That's why I found this little rail safety video so appropriate. I liked it so much, I'm sharing it with you and I'm going to use it in a safety session next week. Enjoy.



Well, what did we learn?

If you set up too close to the tracks, you might lose your tomatoes.

Stay safe when working by the tracks folks.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

Wasn't that INSANE?

2 comments:

  1. OH my god that was crazy. Didn't expect them to put their eazyups back out at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a railroad foreman in my "day job" (a misnomer, since I work nights and weekends). I'm always amazed at the misconceptions out there about railroads and operating around them; the most notable being that an incident involving the tracks takes precedence over any rail traffic. The first and foremost concern for the dispatchers controlling rail traffic is to KEEP THE TRAFFIC MOVING, and they will do so as quickly as possible after an incident. In addition, trains are subject to the same communications difficulties as fire trucks; don't assume that because you've obtained a hold on a track to operate at an incident, every train operating in that area has gotten the word and stopped. Post flagmen as lookouts in both directions, at least half a mile from the scene, preferably a mile, and protect your personnel. Assume that a train can approach from either direction, at any time, and protect the scene accordingly. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete