Sunday, February 26, 2012

Better Lucky Than Good

For the second time on that day, I got caught unprepared for the opportunity to capture a great photo. For the second time on that day, luck and good equipment bailed me out and I was able to salvage them. This time, I didn't even have a chance to change lenses.

After leaving Shell Reef, site of my last post, our caravan of Jeeps/quads and side by sides headed over to a place called the Pumpkin Patch. The Pumpkin Patch is a place where time, water and wind have created globular sandstone features resembling pumpkins.

We arrived at the Pumpkin Patch and I set up my camera for shots like this:

It DOES look like a pumpkin patch!

After getting all I wanted at the Pumpkin Patch, I stopped and chatted with other members of our party on my way back to the Jeep. I heard the whine of a turbo-jet engine, looked up and saw this:

The object visible just over the roof of the outhouse is an L-29, an 
eastern bloc military trainer. When I first saw it, I thought it might
be in trouble.  After I realized that it was producing power and was
 under control, I knew that this flight was about someone having
 a good time.

I was bummed that he only made one pass, but was ecstatic that 
I was able to catch it in five frames. Again, I only had a few
seconds to recognize, acquire and shoot. As I was set up for
photographing rocks, I can't complain too much about the above
shot.

The above L-29 is a C model and was made in Czechoslovakia back in 1968. It is now owned by a museum in El Cajon Ca, and is available for rides. For a measley $925, you can strap this beauty on and look down on the faces of us off-roading Schmoes as you streak by.  

I'll try not to be too jealous.

****
Fear not, only one more post regarding Ocotillo Wells left to go. I hope that it's not redundant, but it was an interesting place and an interesting weekend.

Thanks for suffering reading,
Schmoe
    

No comments:

Post a Comment