Tuesday, May 25, 2010

If the Phone Had Been Bugged

Her: Hello

Me: Hey Baby, how ya doing?

Her: Good, how's your drill going?

Me: It's a disaster. Do me a favor.

Her: Sure. What is it?

Me: Open up the safe and grab a shotgun, preferably the black one, and a box of shells, then come down here. Aim for the big, ugly guy (me) and start shooting. Don't stop until the box of shells is gone.

Her: That bad huh.

Me: Not really. Actually its going pretty good. It's just the chaos thing you know.

Her: Well, that's kind of your business.

Me: I know. Speaking of chaos, I gotta go. I'll call you tonight. Love you, bye.

Her: I love you too. Bye.

The Saint never did show up with the shotgun and we got through the regional MCI/Disaster drill just fine. I really hate these drills even though they are vital to our mission.

This one was a big one, with numerous fire agencies, ambulance companies and local government resources participating. Even the special kids, Haz-mat and heavy rescue, got to play

If they are planned properly, they will challenge the participants right up to the point of overload and keep them there for a while. I always learn something. It's always a good review and I usually feel good about it when I am done.

Still I hate them, especially the early portion of the drill when chaos is still on the field and control is still on the sidelines. Whether as a "First In" unit, or whether I am filling an overhead position, the chaotic early stages always cause me some grief. 

The Saint says it's a control issue. I tend to agree.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

4 comments:

  1. Having been always an indian and never a chief I loved drills. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Captain Schmoe,
    Im guessing they are supposed to give you that overwhelmed feeling in case disaster really does strike.

    Again I am in awe of everything you all try to keep up with and learn.

    Sincerely,
    Ann T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Capt Schmoe:
    I've participated in drills and been a patient in drills. The thing about them is that they really help. I totally learned during the drills, and so did the systems I was a part of.

    Back in Vermont, in 1984, the Amtrak Montrealer derailed, resulting in around 80 people hurt (7 died). Our EMS effort earned praise from all the big city papers, the Times, the Globe. One of the reasons things went so well? Among others, Those silly drills. So yeah, a pain, but as you well know, worth it.

    I'm glad The Saint didn't follow instructions--then we wouldn't have this blog to read!

    The Observer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to be honest, I liked them a lot better when I was a new captain. Everybody expected you to screw it up somehow so when it went OK, everyone was happy. Now, everyone expects it to go well, so if I miss something, I catch hell.

    Whattaya gonna do?

    I guess that disaster in Vermont was a real train wreck huh? You know trains are one of the recurring nightmares that I have. ooooh.

    I wouldn't worry too much Observer, the Saint has selective hearing and doesn't always listen to me. Besides, she doesn't have the combo to the gun safe. I mean really, who in the whole world is she most likely to shoot?

    Me!

    ReplyDelete