Saturday, February 5, 2011

Editing

At one time, I knew every member of the K.B.F.P.D. I worked like a dog, taking every O.T. that came my way and I worked in a desirable house that always had someone working O.T. for one reason or another. As a result, I met everyone and everyone met me.

As I rarely work O.T. anymore and we tend to keep our time trades in-house, I don't get out much. I realized this while editing photos that I had taken at a recent department function. In a group shot of a bunch of captains, there were several whose name I couldn't recall.

The engineer's group shot was even worse. There were several whose name escaped me and a few whom I don't remember meeting.

I don't want to talk about the firefighters. While tagging the pictures, I didn't know half of them. I will have to take the file to work and have my medic I.D. the firefighters. That will lead to some tasteless humor at my expense, comments about me being reclusive and senile. No respect in today's culture toward grumpy old fire captains, that's for sure.

Not that there ever was. I used to tease a few of my early captains, they would ask me who someone was and I would tell them. Of course I would add a humorous line or two with the answer. Every once in a while, I would give them the wrong name and then listen with suppressed laughter as the captain called the visitor by the wrong name all shift.

The ultimate payback will occur in a few years when retired me will return to a station that I had worked at previously and no one on duty will know me. That day will come, it is inevitable.

I just hope it doesn't jack me up too bad.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

*******

Go Packers!

No comments:

Post a Comment