Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hammertown

It is 2200 on Thursday night. I am sitting in an RV in the middle of the Mojave Desert, typing this by flashlight. I am at a temporary "city" called Hammertown. Hammertown is created once a year for an off-road racing event called King of the Hammers. It combines open desert racing with rock crawling and is a blast to watch. I was invited to attend by The Saint I Am Married To's brother and I am having a blast.

Qualifying for the event finished up yesterday, so all that was going on today was press stuff and tech inspection. That leaves the various runs open for the amateurs. What a blast to watch, especially if beer has been involved.


This is what happens when someone misjudges the obstacle, they end up on their side. It is usually low speed so no one gets hurt.

You see all of the nuckleheads standing around with a beer in ther hand, watching the action? Well, I am one of those, except that I am juggling a beer and a camera as I am walking around on the rocks.  If I fall, I am going to have to decide which I am going to save, my camera or my beer. As the camera is a little more costly, I guess I'll have to sacrifice the beer.

I'll post more on this later, It's late and I am tired. Have a great weekend and thanks for reading.

A dusty Schmoe

No comments:

Post a Comment