Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pic from the past

I was cleaning out a drawer at work the other day and came across this photo.



It was taken on Sept. 12, 2001. This is the result of a truck company,an engine company and some administrative staff spending several hours at a busy intersection collecting money for the victims of the terrorist attacks in NY. Later that night, I had over twenty five grand cash in my locker.

The outpouring of generosity and of emotional support from the public was something I will never forget. All of the stations in the Kinda Big F.P.D. had similar results, from the stations in the high-rent districts to the ones in da hood. It was amazing to see.

Some of our guys flew to New York and presented a check to the guys at FDNY. They were extremely grateful and took care of our guys when they were there. We had a LODD death in our agency since then, FDNY sent representatives to the funeral. I was touched.

The scene above was repeated in fire stations throughout the country in the weeks following the attacks. I am sure many of you reading this have similar photographs or have memories of similar scenes. As crappy as that whole thing was, I view this outpouring of support as the silver lining to that cloud.

Thanks for reading

Schmoe

No comments:

Post a Comment