Thursday, November 25, 2010

I'm Thankful

It's thanksgiving morning. I got home from work about an hour ago, after a moderately busy shift at the Healing Place. I entered my home through the garage into the kitchen and to the aroma of freshly baked rolls, stuffing and pumpkin pie.

Three dogs greeted me warmly, their affection unconditional. My beautiful wife of 27 years turned toward me, her hands still busy in the sink. Her warm smile, and the love in her eyes remind me that she means more to me than anything on this earth.

I kissed her, then walked to the back of the house, lugging my bag, laptop and camera bag into our bedroom. I checked on my sons, both sleeping in after staying up way too late.

Later this afternoon, my parents, and my brother in law and his family will come over and we will eat a feast worthy of a king. We will visit, take pictures, watch a game and maybe share an adult beverage or two.

This evening, my extended family members will return to their homes with full stomachs, secure in their sense of place in our world. My sons will likely go out with their friends, enjoying their company and the optimism that only youth can enjoy.

The Saint That I Am Married To and I will likely retire early, a long night for me last night and a 48 hour shift starting tomorrow will prevent us from staying up late.

I have much to be thankful for. I love and am loved. I have a home, a job and a reasonable sense of purpose and security. All of my basic needs are met and I enjoy many things that others don't.

I can't ask for much more.

I thank God for my blessings and I thank those of you that make my life possible.

*******

I am also thankful for people like these:


 Whose sacrifices allow me to enjoy many aspects of my life.

******

The first person in line at the local Best Buy:


He will have spent 48 hours in line when the doors open tomorrow. He wants to buy a laptop and has a pretty good idea which one is on sale and for how much. He won't say how he knows.


He expects to save $300 to $400 by waiting in line. I hope it works out for him, I just hope he appreciates those who are spending their thanksgiving far away from the comforts that only home and loved ones can provide.


Have a happy Thanksgiving. For those of you on duty, either here or abroad, stay safe, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your families. For those of you who are off, I hope your holiday is peaceful and refreshing.

Thanks for reading,
A grateful Schmoe

2 comments:

  1. Schmoe,

    As an Aussie, Thanksgiving is a foreign holiday of little meaning to me. But I am glad that you and many like you let you into your lives with this blog. As a relatively young man, I am thankful that I have guys like you to look up to with the dream girl and the dream job, living the dream! Keep on going my friend! I love it.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob for your comment. Thanksgiving is a holiday that has kind of evolved for us. Many of us use it as an opportunity to reflect on the many blessings that we have been given and spend time sharing the experience with those that we care about.

    Others use it as a day to eat and drink too much, then watch sports while continuing to drink.

    A little of both works for me.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete