Thursday, May 16, 2013

Apparatus Drill

Apparatus Drill. A/D. 10-7 time. What ever you want to call it, it's a time when you can go out of service to train. You don't have to run calls or answer the phone, though you do have to monitor the radio just in case the city gets skinny on units and you have to go back into service.

Every unit within my agency is required to perform at least 6 hours of apparatus drill each month. Over a year's time, 6 of those 72 hours are to be performed at night. It is usually used for stuff like pulling copious amounts of hose, throwing ladders and driver's training and it usually occurs at the training tower. It is scheduled in advance by a captain (B.C.s pick) and units that have a boot usually get priority over those that do not.

Extra A/D time can usually be obtained by co-coordinating with the captains from nearby stations and then requesting it from the B.C. It is not to be confused with multi-company drill (MCD), company drill (manipulative drill while in an in-service status), or a company school (book learnin' - usually while available in quarters).

It's a good system and it usually works for us.

As I live kinda close to the tower, I occasionally stop by and shoot various units while at drill. I look at it like an A/D for me. I get to use some of the photographic skills that I would use while photographing emergency skills and I always learn something.

I always ask the company officer on the participating unit if it's OK, the last thing I want to do is put pressure on a struggling boot. It also gets the boot a chance to know me and get used to having a camera clicking away, often within his/her comfort zone.

Plus, it's FUN!!

As I am still working on getting acquainted with the new camera unit, I popped by for a little photographic A/D the other day. E10 and E4 were there, gettin' it done in the 951!

I actually met this guy a few months before he started working with us. He was working with another agency, one where I was taking some photos. It took me a few minutes and a few questions before I figured out who he was. 

Click on the image to enlarge.


By the time I showed up, they had already done a few evolutions. This was the last one in this building.


I shot some photos of the 10 crew loading hose (I won't bore you with them here) then headed over to one of the roof props to see what E4 was up to.

Saw work, that's what!


This gentleman recently finished up his six month test and is now working on skills for his years.


After spending some time with E4, I headed back over to the 10 crew, who by now had finished loading hose and were working on extending and reducing lines.


Don't worry, the camera didn't get wet, besides it is reasonably well protected against limited water exposure.

Extending lines and replacing broken sections of hose is somewhat labor intensive - especially on a warm day.



Of course, all of that hose on the ground means nothing unless a nozzle is attached. This is the senior firefighter on the rig, taking some of the load off of the boot.


Of course, the water needs to hit the target, even if the target changes or starts to move.


It was getting to be a warm day. No captains were harmed during the taking of this photograph.

A good apparatus drill for them, a good apparatus drill for me. Thanks to RIV E4C and RIV E10C for allowing me to shoot their drill, thanks to you for reading.

Schmoe

P.S. I am loving this camera more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment