Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Apologies

Sorry for not getting some comments posted, we were having some issues with our internet connection at work yesterday. As the KBFPD has a strict IT policy regarding internet usage, we have to resort to a Rube Goldberg kind of device to get access in the station. I usually works pretty well, but yesterday not so much.

It was probably a good thing, as I am working on a PR project for the district. I shot over 200 pictures yesterday and I needed to get it down to about 25 edited shots. I worked on it until after midnight as it was, a blog post would have made it worse. I was really happy with a few of them, sadly I can't post them here. The project will be seen by quite a few people and I feel fortunate to participate in it.

I hope to do a regular post tonight, we'll see how that goes. I still have a lot of editing to do before shooting another full day tomorrow.

If I had better skills, I wouldn't need to shoot so many pictures and do as much editing. I'm working on that, I am starting a class in a few weeks, I hope it is worthwhile, but my fear is that it will make me even more picky and cause me to shoot even more and spend more time on processing.  Hmmm...

Until then, thanks for reading.

Schmoe

2 comments:

  1. Wish we could see the outcome of your shooting, but as a long-time reader, I understand your position.

    Don't worry about the ratio of shots taken to shots used. Having been in the news industry, I know how many shots photojournalists take (a lot) versus how many get seen again. (Listen to the shutter clicks during a presidential speech, for example.) My own personal style is to be a bit more selective in my shooting, but the ratio is always high.

    Glad you're taking a class. Hope you both enjoy and learn from it.

    I enjoy your blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks jcollins for the kind words. My plan is to take one class a quarter, including technical courses and some "travel seminars" that have titles like "Photographing the Owens Valley" or "Photographing the Southern Mojave Desert".

    As I tend to be a little documentary in style, they should be enlightening. The bonus is that I will be able to post some of them.

    Thanks again for the comment.

    ReplyDelete