Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Know

His face I know, his name I know. Him, I know not.

I now know that he went past the hose line and upstairs into an unsecured section of a well involved home. I also know that while up there, he found a man and dragged him to a window where he and another firefighter made a ladder rescue with a semi-conscious victim.

I know that he placed himself at great personal risk and saved the life of another. I know that he bowed his head and allowed  the Chief of his department place a ribbon with a medal on it over his neck. I know that the medal was the Medal of Honor, the highest award that his department can give a firefighter and that it has been over twelve years since it was last awarded.

I know that I am proud to be part of the same profession as he is and that I am honored to have been invited to the awards dinner.

Although I don't know him, I know that he has what it takes, what is buried deep inside of him, to enable him to accomplish what others have not.

Strong work lad, strong work.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

No comments:

Post a Comment