Saturday, July 10, 2010

Airshow - Just Another Dork With a Camera

I went to an airshow a few weeks ago. I wasn't going to go, but I woke up to a clear sky and a clear schedule so I grabbed the camera and went.

This is a personal favorite of mine. Designed in the '40s the Antonov AN-2 has been a workhorse for over 60 years. Over 17,000 were made, most in the Soviet Union. They are the Chevy truck of airplanes. The 1940's Chevy truck that is.

This is a close-up of the propeller on the An-2. This unit can move some air. It's pretty good sized for a single engine airplane.

I don't remember what kind of airplane this was, but the owner had polished the aluminum skin to a mirror finish. The picture is actually of the dad with his kid on his shoulders. This would have been me 15 years ago. All kids should catch an airshow at least once.

 
Nothing special about this plane, just an aging Cessna 172. Nothing special except that I have about 50 hours flying it. When I used to fly, this plane was owned by the club I belonged to. A good time machine for sure. Despite all of the time I have in it, this is the only picture that I ever took of it. I was surprised to see it here, someone must have flown it to the show. I haven't flown it since 1995. Sniff.

One of the performers, climbing with the stick in his lap. In these aerobatic planes, its all about horsepower over weight and maneuverability. What these pilots can make the aircraft do is simply incredible. Come to think of it, every adult should catch an airshow at least once.

It was while shooting this performer that I turned around and took this photo:

It was then I realized - I am just another airplane dork with a camera!

Have a great weekend everybody! Catch an airshow if you can.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

4 comments:

  1. Dear Captain Schmoe,
    What a fun trip! I must confess I am a flower-dork with a camera. And a graffiti-dork with a camera. It doesn't matter, though, er, right?

    Ann T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann T.- I hope not, I can't believe how much fun it is taking photographs, especially when you have an image in your mind and you are able to reproduce that image through the lens.

    Great fun for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regularly catch myself being THE thing I least expected, thought I was, or envisioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Airshows should be MANDATORY fodder when raising a kid. Look what they did to my kid!

    Great stuff Capt. Or is it Capt. Dork?? lol ;)

    ReplyDelete