Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Schmotographs - Airfield

Today was the first time I was really able to experiment with the long lens that I bought with my camera. I grabbed my bag and headed down to an airport that I used to fly into back in the day.

This used to be a very busy field. People would fly here to buy fuel, as it was much cheaper than surrounding airports. There were several busy flight schools here and as a result, there was always traffic in the pattern.

As you can see, not a whole lot was going on here today.

This Cessna 172 departed while I was there, went to a practice area and had a lesson, then returned to the field and did a few touch and goes. The student told me that they worked on emergency procedures and off-field landings. It brought back some memories of flying lessons on hot summer days, ones where your back stuck to the seat of the aircraft.

This beauty arrived while I was there. It is a Cessna 175, I think. Notice that it does not have a nose wheel, but a small one in the tail. Tail draggers require good technique while on the ground and while landing and taking off. This pilot did a good job landing with a gusting, variable wind to contend with as he landed.


This is a Cessna 150 or 152, very similar to the one I learned to fly in. It is a very small aircraft and was a cramped learning environment. We were required to fuel the aircraft after each flight, no matter how short. The fuel is stored in two tanks, one in each wing.


Here, a mechanic is working on the nose wheel of a Cessna 172. He placed two sandbags on the tail of the aircraft, using it as a lever and raising the nose. Thant way, he doesn't have to use a jack to get the wheel in the air.


As I was leaving the field, I saw this gentleman securing his airplane. This is the same aircraft that is in the third photo above. A classic beauty for sure.

I only spent 90 minutes at the airport, yet I managed to shoot 400 plus images. A lot of it was because I was in fast sports mode, which shoots about eight images per second. Stay on the shutter too long and you can amass images in a hurry.

As I was using a long lens, most of the images were taken from pretty far away. All in all, I am pretty happy with the camera / lens set-up.

Sorry this wasn't fire related, bu there was NOTHING going on near my house today. I couldn't even shoot a training session with the Local F.D. At least aviation is a decent back-up.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

6 comments:

  1. Sure it's fire-related. It's... umm... yeah, it's a promotional post for the free on-line training at FAA for first responders to small aircraft crashes (http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/first_responders/)

    There. See? Instant fire-relatedness. Plus increased safety for the troops when they show up at a crash scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pix! What's the make and model of the camera body and lens?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. 618 - Actually, thanks for that link, I've been looking for something like that to use as a company school.

    Mad Jack - Thanks, these are pictures I used to dream of taking when I was a little kid. My tele-instamatic 608 just wasn't up to the task.

    It's a Canon 7D and I was using a Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 lens. It is way more camera than I know what to do with at this point, but I expect to grow into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see. Ah - this wasn't an impulse buy, was it? :)

    This is some very serious equipment. I have not learned to use all the settings on my own system - Panasonic DMC-TZ24 - but I'm learning. The biggest stumbling block I've found is remembering the different settings I've used to shoot the same subject when I'm back home looking at the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mad Jack - You're right, it wasn't an impulse. I've had my eye on this for quite a while.

    It will take me quite a while to learn the capabilities of this camera. Thank goodness for the Auto mode!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Capt Schmoe:
    I enjoyed this post! I am envious! I still enjoyed the post! Thanks much.
    The Observer

    ReplyDelete