Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

Last year on July 5th, I was transporting my beat-up son home from Nebraska after a July 4th four-wheeler accident. The fractured tibia was cured after eight weeks in a cast. His torn ACL was repaired in late fall by using some poor dead guy's Achilles's Tendon in it's place. Thanks to the donor, the orthopedic surgeon and the physical therapist, he is now 99%.


This was taken last year on the way home. He was miserable, every bone in his body hurt. This year, he swore off four-wheelers and has decided to stick with Jeeps.

This year, we opted to stay home and work on the crib. We had some family members over for some grillin' and then went to the public fireworks display.


We went to our usual spot, a church parking lot that overlooks where the fireworks are launched. We have gone  there every year that we were home for the past 28 years. The church charges a small fee, the money goes toward the youth group. It's the best deal in town as far as I'm concerned.

The fireworks show was a little smaller then usual, budget issues I suspect. I commented on this to Saint I Am Married To.

Her response was that she really didn't care as this was our place and this was our show. It is what we do and where we go on the Fourth of July.

Ya know, she was right.

Although some of the family members that used to come along are no longer with us, it won't be long before new ones start showing up. I expect that someday, grand kids will be coming to watch the show from the church parking lot.

Regardless, I can tell you that this year's Independence Day was far superior to last. I hope yours was as well.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe


P.S. Can you tell I haven't been at work for a while?

1 comment:

  1. Dear Captain,
    So glad it was fun!

    And I was beginning to wonder if my comments were going to the far winds here as well as at my place. Something is wrong in Blogger.

    But it looks like everything is right at your house,
    Thank goodness--and we also know which one the Saint would say was more important!

    Have a great day,
    Ann T.

    ReplyDelete