Sunday, June 13, 2010

Feelings

I was reading a comment to a posting on a doctor blog that I follow. The commenter replied to the doc "t's funny how you can feel nothing for 999 patients, but there's always one that gets to ya."

I had to read it a few times in order to digest what he was saying. First of all, I think the commenter was throwing out a huge number for purposes of discussion, but still "feel nothing for 999 patients, but there's always one.."  Really? You feel something for only one out a thousand patients?

Maybe that comment was a literary exaggeration and he really meant to say "feel nothing for 99 patients, but there's always one.." Still, no feeling toward 99% of your patients?

OK, maybe the original comment was a giant literary exaggeration  and he meant to say "feel nothing for 9 patients, but there's always one.." Still.

Granted, I am not a doctor. But I have to say, I feel something for every patient I come in contact with. It might be feelings of disgust, anger, repulsion, sympathy, empathy, concern, interest etc, but they are feelings.

Has the doctoring business evolved to the point where it is common for an M.D. to have feelings for only 10% of their patients? Not even feelings of disgust?

I know there are a few M.D.s that read this blog, I don't know if any are ER docs, but I would be curious if this comment - even if only partially true - is a wide spread sentiment.

****

It takes a project like this:

... to remind me of one of the reasons  I decided to get into the fire business and out of the construction business. It was HOT this weekend. I should have taken on the task of redoing my back yard in January, not June. Stupid is as stupid does.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, I really hope that's not the case with most doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually that sounds about right. 99% of the people you have no emotions for. Not that they don't feel and sympathize for them. Because they do. But it's that 1% that tug are your heartstrings and you care for even though you know you're going to get hurt in the end.
    Speaking as a nurse, (although it's the same for Doctors) you but on a shield and you put on a pair of blinders. You can't feel too much for them because if you do you're burning out before you even started.

    But 1% you care about, beyond the laws and the normal. I think that's what the poster meant. the 1% that makes you remember that you're Human...

    xx
    Jaxs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Captain Schmoe,
    I, too, often wonder about statements like that. Perhaps it was, as you say, poorly worded. Perhaps that person has shut down somewhat in order to master their feelings or stave of exhaustion. But I can't think anyone would fail to feel something with each patient.

    I think a statement like that is a warning sign that attention must be paid: to one's outlook, mental health, and for the good of others. Otherwise it is the prelude to a mistake/unmanaged stress.

    In other news, what a tableau of work! I think your upcoming retirement might be wasted at a gas station, Dear Captain.

    I think you should take pictures perhaps for How-To manuals and perhaps even Cook Books. Perhaps you can become a Food Stylist, and be the person who paints glycerine on the grapes so they will seem more edible. It is a heck of a lot easier to paint a grape than a house, I do believe.

    Good luck with that new career!
    Ann T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont know that I agree with all your commenters.
    As a Medic who ran on average, 18 calls per 24hour shift, I did feel something for EVERY one of my patients.
    Like you said, it could be disgust, anger, anguish, concern and yes heartache. I still felt it. I think thats what made me a great Paramedic and I connected with every patient that wanted to be connected with.
    I didnt burn out after 10 years of feeling all those feelings. I still looked forward to every shift. In fact 12 years later I still miss it. I left for monetary purposes.
    Docs and nurses who dont feel shouldnt be working in a field where there is contact with patients. Go into teaching or research. Too bad there is a shortage of these providers because we are stuck with them.
    Micheal at Rescuing Providence posted a story about this kind of provider a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always found the people who get burned out by this profession are the ones who only have feelings for the 10% or less. I too feel something for or about every patient I come in contact with, and there have been a whole lot of patients over the last nineteen years. When I no longer do, it's time to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more I think about it, the more I hope the comment was a bad choice of words.

    Thanks for commenting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was a poor choice of words. I guess that not every pt will pull at your heartstrings, but I have serious doubts that anyone can be absolutely indifferent to the other 999. If you can have your heartstrings pulled, you're still feeling.

    ReplyDelete