Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The List

I occasionally utilize lists, as they are a useful tool for me to use as I go about my daily life. I started using lists as a teenager at my first job. They helped me remember to do all of the chores that I was assigned. When flying, I used all sorts of checklists to ensure that all of the necessary tasks are performed to safely fly the aircraft.

Even today I still use several lists. Some of the lists that I keep are the "must kill" list, the "might kill" list, the "may let live" list, the "should let live" list and the "shall let live list".

These five lists are to be used when my conquest of the planet is complete and I become the exalted ruler of Earth.  It will be time for me to clean house. Just kidding.

You don't need to call the FBI, I am not going to go on a rampage and hurt anybody. I am basically a non-violent kind of guy - more of a negotiator than a fighter.

These lists are nothing more than a humorous way for me to classify my opinion of a person (usually a public figure) at any given point in time. For those who know me, it is not an issue. For those who don't I don't mean to offend. Unless, of course, you are on one of the first two lists.

Call me foolish, call me stupid - you may be right.

Having said all of that, you should know, I've added the unnamed "Company Man" from British Petroleum to the "must kill" list. While I was at it, I added the management team who hired this arrogant dumb-ass to the "might kill" list.

I am that disgusted with BP and the decisions that led to the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform disaster.

The unnamed "Company Man" is the idiot who made the decision to take shortcuts in the process of disconnecting the drilling rig from the well. These shortcuts were made over the protestations of the driller, tool pusher and operators from the Deepwater Horizon and resulted in the reduction of safety measures. This decision was also made despite the fact that the well was sending signals that something might have been amiss.

I can't think of any risk/benefit analysis that would have affirmed the "company man's" decision to do what he did and I think that he and BP need to be severely punished for their actions. The longer this thing goes on, the angrier I get.

As pissed off as I am, he is safe from me, as it is unlikely I will be appointed exalted ruler of earth anytime soon.

As such, I guess we will have to rely on the criminal justice system to punish him, but I'll bet it won't be severe enough for my taste. Lets not forget that eleven men perished in this incident and many more were injured.

The "company man" just better hope I don't get elected King, as he is #1 on my #1 list. He better stay out of O'Malleys too.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the rant.
Schmoe

4 comments:

  1. Schmoe-

    Rant all you want because I would say most people are behind you on this one!!

    The sad fact is it's only going to get worse. My mom remembers helping to clean up an oil spill off the Cost of Nova Scotia over 30 years ago. Today there are still signs of the devastation. It wasn't 1/10th the amount of oil, nor half as ecologically senseitive as the areas affected in the gulf.

    What is happening in the Gulf today, is not only affecting us, it is affecting our children, our grand-children and most likely our great grand children.

    So be mad all you want Schmoe... I think as humans who love our planet we have a right to be mad at the big companies who ruin it, just to make a buck!

    xx
    Jaxs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear Hear! I'll cast the fist vote to appoint you king.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jax didn't she was voting for me for sure, but I am going to count her as a yes anyway. With Mrs. B and PeeDee that's three. The Saint is undecided, my mom won't vote for an independent.

    Three down, 3.51 billion to go. Maybe I do have a shot at being exalted ruler of the world. Mr. unnamed "company man" had better watch his ass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me sick to my stomach thinking about that spill... just sick.

    ReplyDelete