Saturday, June 5, 2010

Milestones (passed)

For some reason, I thought I started this blog in June. I went to check on the date and found that I actually posted for the first time on May 22, 2009. This thing is a year old! Another milestone that I let slip by last month was my 200th post.


When I started it, I thought I would try it for a year and see how it went. After assessing the last year, I am pretty happy with the way things went.

It has been an interesting year blog-wise. Starting the blog was incredibly easy, thanks to blogger. Keeping it going has been a lot harder than I imagined, though it has been worth the effort.

The growth in readership has been steady though not meteoric. I'm happy with that, especially since I try to write a little something for everyone and not just focus on the job.

My original intent was to post every three or four days. Now, I try for something every day and manage to reach that about 70% of the time. As much as I enjoy writing, I have to keep it in balance with the rest of my life.

I have enjoyed reading others blogs, many of whom read and comment here. I have seen some long time blogs shut down and go away and I have seen others start up,  grow and develop their own following.  That is good to see.

I have some regrets about this blog. I regret that I need to be secretive about certain aspects of my job and some of my friends. Important stuff has happened, of which I could only tell you tiny bits and pieces. I hate that, even though it is really beyond my control. Maybe when I retire I will come clean with some of the details in my life, we'll have to see about that.

All in all this has been a great experience and I plan to keep it going.  Thanks for your support, I will continue trying to deliver a quality product.

As always, thanks for reading,
Schmoe

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Capt. Schmoe!! I love your blog, congrats on a year + :)!

    xx
    Jaxs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Captain Schmoe,
    Congratulations on your anniversary and 200+ posts! I started reading you in September and have enjoyed every single one.

    So naturally I am delighted that you mean to continue!

    Ann T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Capt Schmoe:
    Congrats to you! Your posts are a wonderful look see into the fire service, leadership, parenthood and life on the Left/West Coast. Not to mention your links have put me in in touch with other fab bloggers.

    May Writer's Block never strike!

    The Observer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always enjoy your blog and thanks for keeping it updated Captain.
    Beans - RFD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna say I was here in the beginning. Or very close to it! =) I love ur blog. And you save puppies so ur stuck with me.

    I missed my year anniversary as well. Mine was May 15th. So we started right around the same time.

    And just our blogs are the same age. Ur MUCH older than me even though we were born on the same day. ;)

    Keep it up Capt!! Its all good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Captain! I'm hoisting a popsicle to you and your pledge to continue reporting on conditions. Of course I can't wait 'til all the dirt's out, so maybe you'll take early retirement so that we may know. You're not going to be publishing another picture of your feet, right?

    ReplyDelete