Sunday, June 20, 2010

First Due Blog Carniaval - "Wanted - National Fire Chief"

This month's First Due Blog Carnival is being hosted by Backstep Firefighter.  The topic is "Wanted - National Fire Chief". Submitters are supposed to pitch why they would be a good candidate for the director of the United States Fire Administration.

Although it has been a while since I have been under consideration for a job, I thought I would give it a shot.

******

Dear President Obama,

After assessing the function of the U.S.F.A. and it's position under FEMA and DHS, I strongly urge you to appoint anyone other than myself as Director, U.S.F.A. I possess none of the skills necessary to successfully administer the U.S.F.A. and I would be a detriment to the organization.

After 29 years of the fire service, I have learned that I chafe under the constraints of bureaucracy and I lack the skills to place the needs of the system over those of my immediate charges,  my mission and the public.

The thought of filling such an important post while wallowing in the political quagmire that stifles us as a nation nauseates me. The continual infighting over dollars, turf and blame would soon wear me down and cause me to be ineffective.  My many positive attributes would not overcome the challenges that this job presents and you would soon be looking for another replacement.

In addition, my appointment to this position would be a dishonor to the many fine Chief Officers who, despite the many impediments described above,  have done strong work while serving as USFA administrator.

Might I suggest District Commander Newby, from the Kinda Big Fire Protection District in my stead? He possesses many qualities which the captains from district #3, "A" platoon feel would enable to him to immediately perform as a high level federal official. I can provide 8 letters of recommendation upon request.

Thank you Mr. President for considering me for this position, however I think someone else would be better suited for the job.

Respectfully,
Captain Joseph R. Schmoe
Kinda Big Fire Protection District
Death Valley, CA

******

Probably not what the Backstep Firefighter was looking for when he came up with this months topic, but what can I say? Stop by over at Backstep Firefighter to read the other submissions. Hopefully, they will be a little more relevant.

Thanks for reading,
Schmoe

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Captain. Well done. It reads like you've played in politics before.
    http://backstepfirefighter.com/2010/06/22/4th-ed-first-due-blog-carnival/

    Bill

    ReplyDelete